- action research with/against ‘impact’
- why blog your field work?
- summer school day five
- summer school day four
- summer school day three
- summer school day two
- summer school day one
- tate summer school – expectations
- it’s that time of year…
- on getting out of a stuck place
- mentoring early career researchers – what’s possible?
- happy birthday to patter
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner feedback introduction journal literature review mess metaphor methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- on not writing from the PhD
- action research with/against 'impact'
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
- methodology isn't methods.. or... what goes in a methods chapter
- writing the thesis
- what not to do in a thesis conclusion, part one: christmas present five
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- a questions approach to the literature review
- academic writing
Category Archives: doctoral research
Some supervisors ask the doctoral researchers they work with to formally reflect on their learning. A what-am-I-learning conversation might be a regular part of supervision. Reflection is also often self initiated – ongoing thoughts are recorded in a doctoral researcher journal … Continue reading
I often get asked about the pros and cons of doctoral researchers blogging, and I know other colleagues do too. There isn’t a right or wrong answer to the question of course, it’s always an “It depends”. But here’s a … Continue reading
There’s nothing quite like the countdown to handing in the PhD. Puff pant, puff pant. I think I can, I think I can. But…. On the one hand, you may be absolutely sick of the sight of the text and … Continue reading
I often get asked this question and it’s one I hate. That’s because there is no answer that ever seems satisfactory. My answer is usually – well it depends. It depends on the topic and it depends on what you … Continue reading
Patter is on a week’s leave. She may or may not be reading thoroughly, but she has taken along some books to dip in and out of. In the interests of sharing the dipping in and out, here are five … Continue reading