- public engagement – renovating the public
- recruiting participants for research – do we need a public participation research panel?
- writing a publishable literature review paper – four options
- things to do during the PhD – publish articles on the side
- imagination and “the interview”
- public engagement reframed – in the PhD
- word repetition… just find substitutes?
- (re)framing “public engagement”
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- academic creativity in the here and now
- my holiday reading – not the usual
- patter’s year
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner feedback introduction journal literature review literature themes mess methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- public engagement - renovating the public
- writing a publishable literature review paper - four options
- concluding the journal article
- what not to do in a thesis conclusion, part one: christmas present five
- starting the PhD - anticipate tasks and timings
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- about me
Tag Archives: public engagement
Dr. Nick Mahony is an independent researcher, currently leading the development of a new festival of democracy called DemFest 2016, with the Raymond Williams Foundation. Alongside working on other public engagement related projects, Nick is also lead tutor on a … Continue reading
Jackie Barker is a second year PhD student at the University of the West of England (UWE). Her research is on patient and public involvement (PPI) in a health network. In this blog post, she offers her experience of involving … Continue reading
I often get asked why I left Australia to come to the UK. Apart from the obvious answers – (1) a job, (2) well it wasn’t the weather, and (3) it was a late career adventure – the question is … Continue reading
Last week, a letter with the signatures of 100 education academics was sent to the British newspaper The Independent. It offered a very abbreviated set of concerns about the development of the English national curriculum. The concerns expressed were not … Continue reading
One evening, a long time ago, I opened my front door to find a teacher from the school in which I ‘d just enrolled my son. After an initial introduction she launched into a spiel about the English classes that … Continue reading
A long time ago, when I was still living in Australia, I wrote a conference paper* about a dispute between researchers; I’d read about it in the news and heard it on the radio. One was a university based poverty … Continue reading