NEW!!!!! CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner feedback introduction journal literature mapping literature review literature themes mess methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- things to do during your #phd – attend a summer school
- on form and function – and Les Back’s Academic Diary
- an exercise in willpower
- things to do during your #phd – sit on a university committee
- sift and sort – a revision strategy for a problem paper
- things to do during your #PhD – work collaboratively on a ‘side project’
- conclusions – practice getting to the point(s)
- an ethnographer and photographer walk into a bar – creative photography and research
- the doctoral teacher on twitter
- the writer’s tic – it’s all about the invisible gorilla
- writer’s block
- the part time doctorate- no glory in the ph without the d
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- things to do during your #phd - attend a summer school
- what not to do in a thesis conclusion, part one: christmas present five
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- methodology isn't methods.. or... what goes in a methods chapter
- concluding the journal article
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- I still call australia/england home
Monthly Archives: April 2012
Having just returned from a conference where the presentations were a little mixed – to say the least – I was reminded of the reality that conference presentations are not the same as the conference paper. The paper is the … Continue reading
The sign at security says “Take your laptop out of its case”. So there’s my little mini-mac sitting neatly in the big plastic tray. Yes, it’s small isn’t it, and it really doesn’t weigh much at all. But there’s not … Continue reading
My son is a musician. He DJs and performs, writes and records and he does pretty well – you can check him out here and here. I had a conversation with him a while ago about his music writing and … Continue reading
a joint post by Inger Mewburn, the Thesis Whisperer, and Pat Thomson Did you plan to be a professional writer? Most academics we meet in our work don’t. What usually draws people to academia is teaching. When you think about … Continue reading