NEW!!!!! CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner feedback introduction journal literature mapping literature review literature themes mess methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- tate summer school – Wednesday
- tate summer school – Tuesday
- tate summer school: Monday
- things to do during your #phd – attend a summer school
- on form and function – and Les Back’s Academic Diary
- an exercise in willpower
- things to do during your #phd – sit on a university committee
- sift and sort – a revision strategy for a problem paper
- things to do during your #PhD – work collaboratively on a ‘side project’
- conclusions – practice getting to the point(s)
- an ethnographer and photographer walk into a bar – creative photography and research
- the doctoral teacher on twitter
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
- what not to do in a thesis conclusion, part one: christmas present five
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- tate summer school - Wednesday
- six differences between thesis and book chapters
- concluding the journal article
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- connecting chapters/chapter conclusions
Monthly Archives: August 2012
We all know what a palette cleanser is right? We’re academics so we must have encountered the ubiquitous sorbet either in chilly reality or on one of those food porn tele programmes :)? Or we’ve been to a wine tasting … Continue reading
A couple of weeks ago a colleague suggested that I might want to offer some advice on whether it was better to write a book, a journal article or a book chapter. Coincidentally, just this week @deevybee published a blog … Continue reading
I was recently asked if I would write something about book reviews. There are some pretty helpful posts already out there about book reviewing and I’ve had a go at the topic before too. So check out: Why write a … Continue reading
I’ve been thinking recently that one of the problems with writing is that, by and large, we can all do it – and we all DO do it. Being in a literate society means that writing is a bit like … Continue reading