NEW!!!!! CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner feedback introduction journal literature mapping literature review literature themes mess methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- tate summer school – Tuesday
- tate summer school: Monday
- things to do during your #phd – attend a summer school
- on form and function – and Les Back’s Academic Diary
- an exercise in willpower
- things to do during your #phd – sit on a university committee
- sift and sort – a revision strategy for a problem paper
- things to do during your #PhD – work collaboratively on a ‘side project’
- conclusions – practice getting to the point(s)
- an ethnographer and photographer walk into a bar – creative photography and research
- the doctoral teacher on twitter
- the writer’s tic – it’s all about the invisible gorilla
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
- what not to do in a thesis conclusion, part one: christmas present five
- concluding the journal article
- methodology isn't methods.. or... what goes in a methods chapter
- on form and function - and Les Back's Academic Diary
- an exercise in willpower
- tate summer school - Tuesday
- things to do during your #phd - attend a summer school
Tag Archives: abstract
Jonathan Downie is a conference interpreter, researcher and writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His PhD was at Heriot-Watt University and examined stakeholder expectations of interpreters. He recently passed his viva. He tweets as @jonathanddownie. Dear Person Who Wrote This Abstract, I know … Continue reading
another of those posts where I talk about my own practice… I’m currently engaged in several bits of co-writing. They are not the talk-and-write-together model that I do with Barbara. No, these are variations on the write-together-write-separate process. Because this … Continue reading
We began today by looking at the abstract again – the Tiny Text – and then went on to think about titles. After some paired discussion of the potential titles and a bit of work on some volunteers’ abstracts and … Continue reading
Thesis Whisperer, Inger Mewburn, and Patter, that’s me Pat, are writing a paper for a conference to be held in December. We’ve decided to blog our process as part of our #acwrimo commitment. We put an abstract together as a … Continue reading