SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision revision strategy supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- writing the thesis from the middle
- the risk of research feature creep
- grow your own writing practice
- a planner’s approach to the first draft
- oh no, it’s thesis hand-in limbo
- 20 reading journal prompts
- orientations to reading – the literature as ‘resources’
- conference tips – the old-school handout
- three thesis writing modes
- blogging my research
- summer school day four
- summer school day three
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- writing a bio-note
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- concluding the journal article
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- bad research questions
- using metacommentary to specify your contribution: christmas present three
- avoiding the laundry list literature review
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
Tag Archives: Ethnography
This week Patter will be posting every day – coming to you almost live from Tate summer school for teachers. Cultural and arts education is a big part of my day job and a lot of my research is in … Continue reading
As this post publishes I am on my way to the Tate Summer School, the gallery’s annual professional development programme for teachers. I’ve been making this journey at this time of year since 2012. This is my sixth Summer School. Why? … Continue reading
This is a guest post from Shawn Sobers. Shawn is Associate Professor of Lens Media, and teaches in the Photography BA programme, and MA Research Practice at University of the West of England, Bristol. He is a filmmaker, photographer and researcher. His … Continue reading
A few weeks ago I was sitting with a group of professional musicians. Not my usual company. It was actually a seminar for musicians undertaking practice based PhDs, and I’d been invited to talk, along with @minxmarple, by @annscottpiano. My … Continue reading
It’s the time of year when doctoral researchers – and those with new research projects – head off enthusiastically, and sometimes a bit fearfully, into their field work sites. Field work usually – but not always – involves going away … Continue reading