NEW!!!!! CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner feedback introduction journal literature mapping literature review literature themes mess methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- on form and function – and Les Back’s Academic Diary
- an exercise in willpower
- things to do during your #phd – sit on a university committee
- sift and sort – a revision strategy for a problem paper
- things to do during your #PhD – work collaboratively on a ‘side project’
- conclusions – practice getting to the point(s)
- an ethnographer and photographer walk into a bar – creative photography and research
- the doctoral teacher on twitter
- the writer’s tic – it’s all about the invisible gorilla
- writer’s block
- the part time doctorate- no glory in the ph without the d
- research as/in everyday life
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- what not to do in a thesis conclusion, part one: christmas present five
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- concluding the journal article
- about me
- methodology isn't methods.. or... what goes in a methods chapter
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
- from conference paper to journal article – writing in small chunks
Category Archives: research plan
I’ve just reviewed a lot, and I mean a lot, of research bids. I review research bids regularly, as do a lot of senior academics. Some of them are great and some of them are decent, sensible and worth doing. … Continue reading
One of the problems with research plans is that they set up expectations. The plan is it. Once it’s down on paper in a Gantt chart or a timetable, that’s your guide to action. Apart from the obvious fact that … Continue reading
This guest post is by Dr Ben Kraal, who is a Research Fellow in the School of Design at Queensland University of Technology. At the moment he mostly works on the Human Systems part of the Airports of the Future … Continue reading
This guest blog by Dr Simon Bailey, a research fellow at the Manchester Business School, addresses a very messy area in research – that of the basis on which we recruit people to our projects. WHAT’VE THE RESEARCHERS EVER DONE … Continue reading