Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- recycling your thesis text – is it self plagiarism?
- missing working at work?
- “showing” and “telling” in the thesis
- should you publish during your PhD?
- does a thesis conclusion have “recommendations”?
- can you say something about the “theory chapter”?
- The up in writing
- feeling like an imposter? ask “what’s going on here?”
- categories of literatures work – what’s “new” about researching now
- Ten! Ten! Ten!
- the problem with gap talk
- make your case stronger – argue against yourself
CopyrightThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging blogging about blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution data data analysis doctoral research early career researchers editing examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD publishing reader reading research research methods revision revision strategy starting the PhD supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
Top Posts & Pages
- writing a bio-note
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- recycling your thesis text - is it self plagiarism?
- bad research questions
- concluding the journal article
- Starting a part-time doctorate? Three top tips
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- 20 reading journal prompts
Category Archives: discussion
This post comes back again at the discussion “chapter”. It seems you can never say too much about this tricky bit of the thesis. A caveat before I start. This post is written from a social science perspective and offers … Continue reading
Discussion. It’s a word that immediately comes to mind when we think about communicating research. First we report the results, and then we discuss them. Discussion might be a separate thesis chapter just before the conclusion, or the end of … Continue reading
It’s always as well to know what can go wrong when writing a journal article. And there are multiple areas in any paper to think about. Just because there seem to be fewer conventions for the Results/Discussion section doesn’t mean … Continue reading
Finally. At last. About time. Today we got to the good/fun/scary bit of writing the journal article. Everything we’ve done on the previous days have been working up to this moment. The introduction, literatures and methods were all about setting … Continue reading