SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter citation co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision revision strategy supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- summer reading – or – not all reading is the same
- patter is eight and celebrating with writing skeletons
- writing a journal article – how many references?
- PhD by publication
- the joys of creative re-description
- a thesis (often) needs A Big Idea
- writing targets – word count, time spent, or chunks?
- don’t give your thesis examiner a bad first impression
- safety and research
- what is “measured” writing?
- make a poster then write your paper
- broadcasting your research
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- summer reading - or - not all reading is the same
- writing a bio-note
- a part-time and distance PhD
- leave a good last impression - the thesis conclusion
- my holiday reading - not the usual
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- bad research questions
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
Category Archives: ethnography
As this post publishes I am on my way to the Tate Summer School, the gallery’s annual professional development programme for teachers. I’ve been making this journey at this time of year since 2012. This is my sixth Summer School. Why? … Continue reading
This is a guest post from Shawn Sobers. Shawn is Associate Professor of Lens Media, and teaches in the Photography BA programme, and MA Research Practice at University of the West of England, Bristol. He is a filmmaker, photographer and researcher. His … Continue reading
A few weeks ago I was sitting with a group of professional musicians. Not my usual company. It was actually a seminar for musicians undertaking practice based PhDs, and I’d been invited to talk, along with @minxmarple, by @annscottpiano. My … Continue reading
Over the last week I’ve posted every day about the ethnographic research I was doing at the Tate Summer School, research carried out with the Tate Schools and Teachers team. Why? Why did I interrupt my normal flow of writing … Continue reading