SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- explain your terms – writing a journal article
- who is ‘an academic writer’?
- writing from a research project – find the point
- the academic earworm
- refining your research topic – starting the phd
- don’t do as I did, don’t do as I do
- starting the PhD – digging in to the reading
- ten ways to beat the fear of writing
- reading! you’re meant to be writing
- being ‘critical’ – starting the phd
- choosing your words – starting the phd
- it’s that month again…
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- explain your terms - writing a journal article
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- concluding the journal article
- what's a #phd 'contribution'?
- using metacommentary to specify your contribution: christmas present three
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- a Foucauldian approach to discourse analysis
- connecting chapters/chapter conclusions
Category Archives: Peter Elbow
Patter is on annual leave and is posting pre-prepared writings snatched from elsewhere. The term ‘voice’ is not as straightforward as it might first appear. Commonly used in relation to a number of art forms, it is highly ambiguous and slippery. … Continue reading
Someone asked me the other day whether I thought ‘just write’ was a good idea. It is something that I support, although always with the caveat that it doesn’t work for everyone. I call this ‘writing along the way’ because … Continue reading