Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- managing research risks – riding the wave of #phdpandemic
- Pandemics and PHDs
- research as creative practice
- writing advice – caveat emptor
- playing about with data
- dogs and cats and rabbits and..
- is public engagement just a nightmare?
- writing home and away
- I’m writing a journal article – what literatures do I choose?
- academic writing is visual
- getting to grips with new literatures
- tracking the path to research claims
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers editing ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods revision revision strategy supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- managing research risks - riding the wave of #phdpandemic
- concluding the journal article
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- using metacommentary to specify your contribution: christmas present three
- Pandemics and PHDs
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- writing a bio-note
- what is a 'research warrant'? #knowhow
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
Category Archives: postdoc
This is the second post on researching on other people’s projects. Emily St.Denny is a research assistant at the Public Policy Institute for Wales, based at Cardiff University, where she studies the powers and policy levers Welsh Ministers can use … Continue reading
Many learned societies offer summer schools. Some universities and research networks do too. I’ve just been to one. I was one of eight lecturers at a sociology of education summer school organised through the European Educational Research Association ‘s @socedu28. The summer school … Continue reading
This is a guest post by Dr Mark Carrigan, Research Fellow at Centre for Social Ontology: socialontology.org, The University of Warwick and Digital Fellow at The Sociological Review: @thesocreview. On March 26th 2014 I finally submitted my thesis for the … Continue reading
I’ve just been involved in selecting for a postdoctoral bursary and a PhD studentship. In both instances some of the people who applied had good ideas, the kinds of track records that garnered attention, and wrote well structured applications about … Continue reading