SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision revision strategy supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- oh no, it’s thesis hand-in limbo
- 20 reading journal prompts
- orientations to reading – the literature as ‘resources’
- conference tips – the old-school handout
- three thesis writing modes
- blogging my research
- summer school day four
- summer school day three
- summer school day two
- summer school day one
- bus driver’s holiday
- flip your presentation format
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- writing a bio-note
- avoiding the laundry list literature review
- leave a good last impression - the thesis conclusion
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- bad research questions
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- threshold concepts in academic writing
Category Archives: postdoc
This is the second post on researching on other people’s projects. Emily St.Denny is a research assistant at the Public Policy Institute for Wales, based at Cardiff University, where she studies the powers and policy levers Welsh Ministers can use … Continue reading
Many learned societies offer summer schools. Some universities and research networks do too. I’ve just been to one. I was one of eight lecturers at a sociology of education summer school organised through the European Educational Research Association ‘s @socedu28. The summer school … Continue reading
This is a guest post by Dr Mark Carrigan, Research Fellow at Centre for Social Ontology: socialontology.org, The University of Warwick and Digital Fellow at The Sociological Review: @thesocreview. On March 26th 2014 I finally submitted my thesis for the … Continue reading
I’ve just been involved in selecting for a postdoctoral bursary and a PhD studentship. In both instances some of the people who applied had good ideas, the kinds of track records that garnered attention, and wrote well structured applications about … Continue reading