Join 35,471 other subscribers
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
patter on facebook
- AI and all that jazz
- thinking about collaborations
- a note on acronyms
- using jargon
- line editing – learning from editors
- five focusing questions to kick off some writing
- revising – mark up your text to achieve focus
- cutting and pasting early text into the thesis – part 2.
- can you cut and paste early text into your thesis?
- developing a research agenda
- getting to grips with PSA – Pre Submission Angst
- writing on the fly
CopyrightThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing acwrimo argument authority in writing blogging blogging about blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution data data analysis doctoral research early career researchers editing examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD publishing reader reading research research methods revision revision strategy starting the PhD supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice
Top Posts & Pages
- writing a bio-note
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- AI and all that jazz
- what's a #phd 'contribution'?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- avoiding the laundry list literature review
- 20 reading journal prompts
- use a structured abstract to help write and revise
- about me
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
Category Archives: reference
citation blues #1-#4
Blues – African-American musical form dealing with sorrows, trials and tribulations Blue – Australian slang for making a mistake. As in “I made a blue” So its possible, (particularly if you are Australian), to have the blues about making a blue. A … Continue reading
Posted in citations, reference Tagged academic writing, citations, communication, Pat Thomson, referencing, scholarship 2 Comments
for the reader – citations, reference lists, tables of contents and indexes
Most of us understand that citation is about locating our work in the field. We cite to show that we understand the field, that we know who counts and we understand what previous studies are important. We cite to show … Continue reading
Posted in academic writing, citation, footnote, index, reference, reference list Tagged citations, footnotes, index, Pat Thomson, reference list, references 8 Comments
preparing for the academic job interview
This very helpful post is written by Sean Matthews, Director of Studies at The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus. So, you’ve polished your cv, sent in the (many, many) applications, run the gauntlet of the hiring committees, and finally you’ve … Continue reading
Posted in cv, job interview, questions, reference Tagged cv, interview questions, job interview, reference, Sean Matthews 8 Comments