SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision revision strategy supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- peer support for you and your PhD
- PhD – plan B
- the revision cave
- when you’re older than your professors
- peer reviewing your first paper
- writing the thesis from the middle
- the risk of research feature creep
- grow your own writing practice
- a planner’s approach to the first draft
- oh no, it’s thesis hand-in limbo
- 20 reading journal prompts
- orientations to reading – the literature as ‘resources’
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- using metacommentary to specify your contribution: christmas present three
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- writing a bio-note
- bad research questions
- concluding the journal article
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- five ways to structure a literature review
Category Archives: doctoral experience
This is a guest post from Dr Noelle Sterne. Noelle runs a coaching and editing practice and in 2015 published Challenges in Writing Your Dissertation: Coping With the Emotional, Interpersonal, and Spiritual Struggles. Marlene was one of the brightest … Continue reading
Patter is currently on two weeks annual leave. (Faint sounds of cheering.) So the next four posts are reprints of some other writing that might be of interest to Patter readers. This is the foreword I wrote to a new anthology of Australian doctoral … Continue reading
Dear becoming-doctor, I know that you are about to enrol in a PhD. That’s fab, no really, it’s great – but there’s something I want you to think about as you fill out that form. By the time you reach the … Continue reading
Today Inger Mewburn, Thesis Whisperer, and I presented the first cut from the survey we did – with your help – on PhD blogging. As yet, we don’t know whether we are going end up with a book chapter, or one or … Continue reading
Patter is on a week’s leave. She may or may not be reading thoroughly, but she has taken along some books to dip in and out of. In the interests of sharing the dipping in and out, here are five … Continue reading