Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- revision – the “make it better” exercise
- recycling your thesis text – is it self plagiarism?
- missing working at work?
- “showing” and “telling” in the thesis
- should you publish during your PhD?
- does a thesis conclusion have “recommendations”?
- can you say something about the “theory chapter”?
- The up in writing
- feeling like an imposter? ask “what’s going on here?”
- categories of literatures work – what’s “new” about researching now
- Ten! Ten! Ten!
- the problem with gap talk
CopyrightThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging blogging about blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution data data analysis doctoral research early career researchers editing examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD publishing reader reading research research methods revision revision strategy starting the PhD supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
Top Posts & Pages
- writing a bio-note
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- concluding the journal article
- 20 reading journal prompts
- the problem with gap talk
- bad research questions
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- a year of writing dangerously - #acwrimo redux
Category Archives: doctoral experience
This is a guest post from Dr Noelle Sterne. Noelle runs a coaching and editing practice and in 2015 published Challenges in Writing Your Dissertation: Coping With the Emotional, Interpersonal, and Spiritual Struggles. Marlene was one of the brightest … Continue reading
Patter is currently on two weeks annual leave. (Faint sounds of cheering.) So the next four posts are reprints of some other writing that might be of interest to Patter readers. This is the foreword I wrote to a new anthology of Australian doctoral … Continue reading
Dear becoming-doctor, I know that you are about to enrol in a PhD. That’s fab, no really, it’s great – but there’s something I want you to think about as you fill out that form. By the time you reach the … Continue reading
Today Inger Mewburn, Thesis Whisperer, and I presented the first cut from the survey we did – with your help – on PhD blogging. As yet, we don’t know whether we are going end up with a book chapter, or one or … Continue reading
Patter is on a week’s leave. She may or may not be reading thoroughly, but she has taken along some books to dip in and out of. In the interests of sharing the dipping in and out, here are five … Continue reading