SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- for the reader – citations, reference lists, tables of contents and indexe
- live blogging academic writing – an un-conference
- thesis knowhow – “the contribution” can create coherence
- your MC for this paper is…
- bad research questions
- writing the thesis – the theoretical framework
- academic writing – trust those gut feelings
- threshold concepts in academic writing
- PhD stuck points
- get the picture? how not to use images in the thesis
- why is academic writing so hard
- leave a good last impression – the thesis conclusion
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- for the reader - citations, reference lists, tables of contents and indexe
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- using metacommentary to specify your contribution: christmas present three
- bad research questions
- a Foucauldian approach to discourse analysis
- writing a publishable literature review paper - four options
Category Archives: part time PhD
This is a guest post from Dr Justin Field. Well nearly Dr – just graduation to go and it’ll all be finalised. Justin shares his experience of doing a part-time and distance PhD. Earlier this month, I submitted my PhD in Organisational … Continue reading
People often ask me about the professional doctorate, what it’s about and whether it’s worth doing. Here’s the beginning of an answer to that very big question… I need to come clean about my own prejudice about professional doctorates first … Continue reading
This is a guest post from Karen McAulay, Music and Academic Services Librarian and concurrently Postdoctoral Researcher at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. Karen has worked in the Whittaker Library at RCS since 1988. She is a Fellow of the … Continue reading