SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- can I cite a blog post?
- explain your terms – writing a journal article
- who is ‘an academic writer’?
- writing from a research project – find the point
- the academic earworm
- refining your research topic – starting the phd
- don’t do as I did, don’t do as I do
- starting the PhD – digging in to the reading
- ten ways to beat the fear of writing
- reading! you’re meant to be writing
- being ‘critical’ – starting the phd
- choosing your words – starting the phd
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- can I cite a blog post?
- explain your terms - writing a journal article
- concluding the journal article
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- what's a #phd 'contribution'?
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- a Foucauldian approach to discourse analysis
Tag Archives: blog
I really love reading about other people’s experiences of the PhD and beyond. But I don’t much like talking about my own. Well, I do sometimes talk about myself on this blog. Talking about me makes the blog a bit human. … Continue reading
Patter had a bit of a revamp this year. Early on, the blog acquired a new URL, patthomson.net, and shucked off all gratuitous wordpress advertising. Much later, the signature image of desk and coffee cup was replaced with the current … Continue reading