SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conclusion conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data dissertation doctoral education doctoral research early career researchers epistemology ethics examiner introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature themes mess methods chapter peer review PhD public engagement publishing reader reading research methods research project revision signposts supervision Tate Summer School thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
- what is author ‘voice’?
- ‘the PhD experience’
- a part-time and distance PhD
- self-citation by proxy
- citing yourself – in the text
- citing yourself – how much is too much?
- use a vignette – #wakeupreader
- co-writing – strategies for working with other people’s words
- tame your inner writing demon
- researching on someone else’s project – it’s a relationship
- EN and me
- co-writing with your supervisor – do we need a code of good practice?
Top Posts & Pages
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- what is author 'voice'?
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- writing the introduction to a journal article
- connecting chapters/chapter introductions
- a Foucauldian approach to discourse analysis
- concluding the journal article
- connecting chapters/chapter conclusions
- three stages of empirical analysis
- what’s with the name doctoral ‘student’?
Tag Archives: public engagement
Dr. Nick Mahony is an independent researcher, currently leading the development of a new festival of democracy called DemFest 2016, with the Raymond Williams Foundation. Alongside working on other public engagement related projects, Nick is also lead tutor on a … Continue reading
Jackie Barker is a second year PhD student at the University of the West of England (UWE). Her research is on patient and public involvement (PPI) in a health network. In this blog post, she offers her experience of involving … Continue reading
I often get asked why I left Australia to come to the UK. Apart from the obvious answers – (1) a job, (2) well it wasn’t the weather, and (3) it was a late career adventure – the question is … Continue reading
Last week, a letter with the signatures of 100 education academics was sent to the British newspaper The Independent. It offered a very abbreviated set of concerns about the development of the English national curriculum. The concerns expressed were not … Continue reading
One evening, a long time ago, I opened my front door to find a teacher from the school in which I ‘d just enrolled my son. After an initial introduction she launched into a spiel about the English classes that … Continue reading
A long time ago, when I was still living in Australia, I wrote a conference paper* about a dispute between researchers; I’d read about it in the news and heard it on the radio. One was a university based poverty … Continue reading