1. A song for staring at the blank screen
2. A song for explaining to your lover why you didn’t hear what they just said
3. A song for reading reviewers’ comments
4. A song for that feeling of being really, really stupid
5. A song for pressing the submit button
6. A song to drown out the noises in the hall
7. A song to remind yourself to get off twitter now
8. A song for an impossible deadline
9. A song to soothe the savage writing
10. A song which prompts you to go sit outside
11. A song to celebrate getting the book proofs
12. A song to remind you why you became a scholar
13. A song that speaks back to administrivia
14. A song for finding a typo in the just published paper
15. A song to mark a co-author’s retirement
16. A song which encourages you to think slowly
17. A song which thanks your dog for just being there
18. A song which counts ALL the work you’ve done
19. A song for making new academic friends
20. A song for waking up at 3 am writing in your sleep
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- writing a journal article – identifying “the two paper problem”
- ghosts in the text
- ten playful viva preparation activities
- a very neat hack to avoid repetition and duplication
- finding time to write
- editing your writing – lessons from chefs?
- lockdown writing routines – a.k.a a cheer for the humble pear
- use a structured abstract to help write and revise
- meeting your readers’ expectations – a revision strategy
- a first draft in five minutes a day?
- writing for publication – finding an angle and an argument
- reading groups/journal clubs are a good idea
CopyrightPatter by Pat Thomson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Patricia.Thomson@nottingham.ac.uk.
SEE MY CURATED POSTS ON WAKELETLOOKING FOR POSTS ON WRITING FOR JOURNALS? REVISING AND EDITING? GIVING FEEDBACK AND REVIEWING? READING? GIVING A CONFERENCE PAPER? VISIT MY WAKES ON https://wakelet.com/@patter
- abstracts academic blogging academic book academic writing argument authority in writing blogging blogging about blogging books book writing chapter co-writing conference conference papers conference presentation contribution crafting writing data doctoral research early career researchers editing ethics examiner feedback introduction journal journal article literature mapping literature review literature reviews literature themes methods chapter peer review PhD publishing reader reading research research methods revision revision strategy starting the PhD supervision Tate Summer School theory thesis time Uncategorized voice writing
Top Posts & Pages
- writing a journal article - identifying "the two paper problem"
- aims and objectives - what's the difference?
- tiny texts - small is powerful
- using metacommentary to specify your contribution: christmas present three
- writing a bio-note
- ghosts in the text
- I can't find anything written on my topic... really?
- the literature review - how old are the sources?
- concluding the journal article
- bad research questions